Thursday, January 17, 2013

Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Of Poseidon
Anna Banks
Publication date: May 22nd 2012 by Feiwel and Friends
Rating: 2 stars


Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen — literally, ouch! — both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . . 

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.

I was expecting so much more from this book.

It started out so witty and funny and with so much potential that I thought it would definitely end up as one of my favorite books, but unfortunately, for me, the story didn't turn out to be that great after all. The writing was off, with the author making Emma's chapters in the first person and Galen's in the third. It made the transition from one POV to the other not as smooth as one would like to in a book, and the pace she set for the story was so terribly slow I struggled with my decision to seeing it to an end.

As for the characters, most of them annoyed the hell out of me. One of the reasons I couldn't enjoy the story more was because most of the time I was busy wanting to hit them in the head with a shovel. Emma's behavior towards Galen is very contradictory: one minute she wants to have nothing to do with him and the next she's wishing for him to kiss her. She also does the opposite of everything he wants just to spite him, and not really because she actually wants to. As for Galen, he doesn't really care about what Emma wants, doesn't take her seriously, and is too controlling. I just couldn't find myself rooting for them as a couple. I kind of wanted them to drawn in the ocean, really.

One of the goods things here, though, was all the mermaid lore. The author went very deep with her explanations and mythology about how the mermaids were in this universe, and that was amazing. I found that it was very interesting to read all about it, but it wasn't enough for me to like this book. I won't be reading the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...